We do our best to maintain a relationship of balance and moderation with foods we label as “treats” (or as the folks at Whole30 hilariously call them, Sex With Your Pants On foods). When it comes to chocolate, however, we know it’s virtually impossible to practice self-restraint. The good news is that chocolate isn’t all that bad. In fact it’s pretty amazing for your body. Raw cacao is packed with twice the amount of antioxidants as blueberries. It also contains less caffeine than decaf coffee. Instead it has a gentle stimulant known as theobromine, which gives you long-lasting energy without the crash, anxiety or jitteriness that comes with coffee.
Things to look out for in chocolate bars or products are the added ingredients, such as milk, soy, and sugar. These are the main culprits in weight gain, hormone and nervous system changes associated with chocolate consumption. But we’ve got the right recipe for you to get your chocolate fix. This mouthwatering Mousse au Chocolat. It’s paleo, super easy to make, and the right kind of sweet. Enjoy!
Ingredients (for 2 portions)
- 1 large banana
- 1/3 of a can of coconut milk
- 2-3 teaspoons of raw cacao powder or unsweetened chocolate powder
- optional: some dark, unsweetened chocolate pieces and blueberries as toppings
- Peel the banana and cut it in small pieces. Put it in plastic bag and in the freezer for about 4 hours.
- Get a blender and put all the ingredients in there and mix them together to get a creamy consistence. (Quick tip: You might have to push the banana pieces down the blender to get them crushed. Add a little bit more of the coconut milk if needed.)
- Fill two bowls with the mousse and serve them with the chocolate pieces and blueberries on top